Polkadot governance news #4: Nomination pools on Kusama enabled
Technical Committee is composed of the teams that have successfully implemented either a Polkadot runtime or a Polkadot Host because it's the last line of defense against unwanted software errors and bugs. At this moment, Polkadot’s technical committee contains 3 members. Its purpose is simple but very important. To fast-track proposals to reduce the time being voted on the referendum queue.
In this governance news, there were a few technical committee fast-tracked proposals so you can check their importance and usability.
Polkadotters follow the campaign with the motto: “Use your right, use your vote. In Polkadot Governance!”, simply because we believe that on-chain governance is the greatest virtue of Polkadot!
Before we start with the list of executed referenda, let’s highlight that referenda #63 and #65 were fast-tracked by the Technical Committee.
- Polkadot Referendum #65 Polkadot Runtime Upgrade to v9220 has been passed and executed. The result of this referendum is upgrading the Polkadot Relay chain to v0.9.22, which consists of reducing network bandwidth and improving parachain block times. This Referendum was fast-tracked by the Technical Committee.
- Polkadot #Referendum #63 Polkadot Runtime Upgrade to v9200 passed. It aims to upgrade the Polkadot Relay chain to v0.9.20. This Referendum was fast-tracked by the Technical Committee.
- Polkadot #Referendum #62 First Statemint HRMP Channels has been passed and executed. This enabled the first five parachains to open HRMP channels with common-good parachain Statemint. Namely, the parachains are Acala, Moonbeam, Astar, Equilibrium, and Parallel.
- Kusama: Referendum #204 HRMP channel creation: Statemine — Shiden Network passed. This referendum resulted in establishing an HRMP channel between Shiden, which is a canary network of Astar, and a common-good parachain Statemine.
5. Kusama Referendum #203 Proposal for RMRK token sufficiency on Statemine: An Amended Proposal (the third time is the charm) passed and was already executed.
6. Kusama: Referendum #202 Kusama Runtime Upgrade to v9220 passed. This upgrade includes nomination pools in the v0.9.22 release. The existence of pools is a great opportunity for nominators to open pools, which can attract more staking inputs into their validators of choice.
7. Kusama: Referendum #201 “Expect Chaos” — remark chosen by W3F Tech Ed team to demonstrate democracy on Kusama did not pass, most probably because of the lack of accurate description.
8. Kusama: Referendum #200 Proposal to update parachain’s (2115, Dora Factory) wasm and genesis has passed and been executed. The result is the replacement of some bugs from the previously submitted genesis and wasm with correct ones.
9. Moonbeam: Referendum #40 Runtime Upgrade 1502 has passed and executed. Moonbeam’s runtime was upgraded to Runtime 1502 which has some important updates such as the implementation of pallet orbiters and support for gasless transactions. The most important change is removing staking rewards for tokens unbonded by delegators during the unbonding process, which should lead to support consistency and proper due diligence in the delegation process.
10. Kintsugi: Referendum #33 OnFinality — High-Performance Public Infrastructure (Q3, 2021 — Q1, 2022) has passed. OnFinality will have covered the costs for the running of high-performance, scalable, and reliable public infrastructure for Interlay’s Kintsugi Network.
11. Acala: Referendum #13 Runtime Upgrade - New DEX aggregator pallet and other improvements. This runtime release for Acala and Karura adds a new DEX aggregator pallet, a new transaction to allow people to transfer debit between different collaterals, and improvements on EVM+. In Karura, this referendum has #53. This referendum has successfully passed both on Acala and Karura and has been executed.
12. Interlay Referendum #0 about activating INTR staking rewards. Staking is already active, but no rewards were distributed. Rewards are important to incentivize active staking and governance participation which is critical for Interlay’s security and growth as an ecosystem. This topic was discussed and then proposed and fast-tracked by the technical committee. This referendum has already passed and been executed.
Polkadot representatives including Dr. Gavin Wood were present in Davos to talk at the opportunity of World Economic Forum meeting. Check out a referendum from the treasury proposal for this event.
- Polkadot Referendum #64: Treasury proposal for Polkadot at Davos during the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting 2022 is currently passing. The Meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) is one of the biggest macro events of 2022 and Polkadot representatives were presented in Davos at the moment of the conference with their speeches and presentations.
- Kusama Referendum #206 Runtime Upgrade to v9230, seeking to make changes in the runtime including an update on weights and some add-ons for nomination pools and bags to continue working as expected. This referendum is currently passing with three days left to vote.
- Kusama Referendum #205 Pichiu-2102 genesis state&wasm reset on Kusama. This aims to reset the Pichiu (Kylin canary) genesis state and runtime, because of some unexpected issues. This referendum is currently passing with two more days left to vote.
- Moonriver: Referendum #97 Open/Accept HRMP channel to/from Integritee and Register TEER Asset. This batched proposal is to Accept/Open an HRMP channel with Integritee and to register the TEER token. It's currently passing and there are three days left for you to vote.
- Kusama: Treasury proposal for organizing the “Polkadot World” Event between 17th and 19th June 2022 in Barcelona. This three-day face-to-face event might be the biggest one in the Spanish community of the Polkadot and the Kusama ecosystem. This treasury proposal became a council motion #481.
- Polkadex: Referendum #0 Minimum Validators self-Stake proposes a minimum self-bond for validators to 100 PDEX. This referendum is currently passing unanimously.
- Kusama: Proposal #70 Open HRMP Channel Between Robonomics and Statemine. This proposal aims to open the bi-directional HRMP channel between Robonomics parachain and a common-good parachain Statemine.
- Moonriver: Proposal #16 Accept HRMP Channel from Bifrost to Moonriver. Similar to other HRPM channel proposals, this one is about accepting the HRMP channel between Bifrost (Kusama) and Moonriver.
- Moonbeam: Motion #45 Privacy on Moonbeam. ZKValidator (ZKV) will be producing an event & educational series focused on promoting the development of privacy tech within the Moonbeam and Polkadot ecosystems. The event series will take place from early Q3 2022 to Q1 2023.
- Bifrost: Treasury proposal — SubSquare maintenance from 05.2022 to 10.2022 grant request. SubSqaure requests $700 per month for 6 months of maintenance, common features development, and server fee. SubSquare is a governance platform for substrate-based blockchains which integrated Bifrost in February 2022.
- Kintsugi discussion about setbacks and next steps of supporting USDC and KINT collaterals for KBTC vaults. Go and discuss the pros and cons of various stablecoins utility for the vaults.
If you want to dig deeper into Polkadot’s governance, definitely check out our descriptive article Governance: The greatest virtue of Polkadot.
We are active validators and collators in the Dotsama ecosystem. Consider supporting us by nominating your tokens to our Kusama and Polkadot validator going by the Polkadotters’ name! Rewards from validators are what keep us going, because this is our only stable income, so if you like what we do, please nominate us on one of the Dotsama networks! Thank you 😊